Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ever guess how old a tree might be?

How many times have you been to a local Park or taking a stroll in the woods and noticed a pretty good sized tree and wondered just how old it might be?  It happens to me a lot because I use trees to help me "date" the surrounding areas that I metal detect in.  In the Parks I hunt the most here in Birmingham, AL, along Highland Avenue, Coldwell, Rhodes and Rushton Parks all have huge trees I have just sat and admired while pondering their possible age.  I have guesstimated several of the larger trees to easily be in the 200+ year old category.  Well, now I know it is indeed entirely possible and I was pretty much bangin' that little nail right on it's shiny head!

If you've ever wondered about just how old the trees are in the Greater Birmingham area, this is a very nice article that I'm sure you will enjoy and that may help you date the trees where you live and hunt too. 
 
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/04/preserving_birminghams_ice_age.html

No comments:

Post a Comment