Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Doo Doo Day 2016 - Post Doo Doo!

Doo Doo Day 2016 has come, squatted, and gone!  I had plans on hitting the park yesterday evening as they were shutting things down with my new Garrett ACE 400 to see how well it would do in a "park/surface find" environment.  BUT...  I had a better offer!  Like babysitting my two youngest Grandkids, Maggie Harper and Arlo Suggs.  THAT was an EASY choice for me!  Made it home a little after midnight and caught up on Episodes 8 & 9 while we were babysitting.  Too late to be poking around in a park in this city, fer sure!  In the morning would suffice quite nicely as what I saw in the park as we were headed out about 7pm indicated they were in no hurry whatsoever to finish it up on Saturday.

5:30am Sunday Morning - The Day After Doo Doo!  Woke up and hit the road running!  Grabbed my new Garrett ACE 400 and tossed it in the front seat of our little Alabama Mountain Goat (Subaru Outback AWD) and headed around the block.  It's still pretty to just sit and watch the sun come up, even in an inner city municipal park with the lingering aroma of dog poop gently wafting thru the air with every cool breeze...

Now I can make this a long post, or a short post, it just depends on how my fingertips are feeling in about 10 minutes.  I was able to park "in" the park at the one and only Handicap spot (YES, I do have a placard and YES it IS registered to me Thank You very much...) so I was right there within feet of where my quest for treasure and fame would begin this morning.  I geared up with my usual "SWAG WARRIOR" ensemble, Minelab Digging Gloves, Minelab Digging Pouch, Bounty Hunter T-Shirt, Whites TRX Pinpointer and Garrett EDGE Digger in a XRT Holsters Kydex drop leg combo sheath, my Craftsman extendable mechanics magnet, Fisher Camo hat, with my trusty Samsung Galaxy S4 running Tect O Trak detecting App.  Like I said...  Swag Ho!  Much more than Swag, it all works, and it's all SERIOUS detecting gear!

City Workers got there about 6:30am and started with the last of the clean up.  I made friends and showed them the trash, nails and tent spikes I had already picked up so they wouldn't tear up the turf tires on their buggies and mowers, and that put a smile on their faces.  Never hurts to show them you care and respect them and the park at every opportunity you get!

I had scoped out some landmarks yesterday so I could accurately relocate the vendors tent line today so that was where I hit first.  Backed the ACE 400 down all the way to the first notch on the sensitivity scale so it would go as shallow as possible.  Those ACE Series machines are real beasts and the ACE 400 is no different as it was indicating solid targets at 6 inches deep with the sensitivity turned all the way down.  Since I was looking for recently dropped surface finds, I ignored anything beyond 2 inches.  I snagged a few pennies here and there that were on or near the surface, but it was mostly the usual trash and junk that fools most machines and operators.  I was VERY impressed with the "Iron Audio" feature that I would turn on before I dug each target.  After a few rusted bottle caps, I was able to detect the pattern for ID'ing the rusty bottle caps from the actual coins.  And it worked amazingly well.  If I swung a target with the Iron Audio feature turned on and didn't hear the "grunt", then I knew it was going to be an actual coin, or an aluminum screwtop.  And since this isn't the ACE 400 "Park Review", let me just say that all in all, I was VERY pleased with Garrett's latest and greatest addition to the ACE Series and that it would make an excellent park machine by my standards.

Visiting the city parks after an event can have some very nice rewards if you're quick, have a keen eye and aren't afraid to pick stuff up that's been left behind by the various vendors, exhibitors, etc.  At events past, I got a complete set of side and rear sun/wind curtains for a 12x12 EZ-UP canopy, a 50' Master Lock Security Cable, a Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker, and the list goes on and on.  Today's "Bonus Booty" was a nice 50' Extreme Heavy Duty 120vac custom made extension cord.  This thing is a BEAR and weighs like 30 pounds.  Made out of like 3 Gauge 3 conductor wire with 120vac plugs on both ends.  I could easily change the plugs for 240vac and have a sweet extension cord for my welder!

Here's a few pictures of the morning, we've got kids coming over today so I gotta do a little cleaning before they get here.  Get off the couch, grab your detector and hit a local park for a little "Urban Jungle" hunting, it'll do you good!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment